Winter doesn’t have to be all heavy stews and roasts. This January, why not try something a little brighter? Featuring tangy citrus notes balanced by smoky flavors and a hint of heat, this recipe for wahoo ceviche with grilled avocado and jalapeño-lime vinaigrette is guaranteed to kick off your new year with a colorful (and healthy) bang.
Keep reading for the recipe courtesy of saltwatersportsman.com
Wahoo Ceviche with Grilled Avocado and Jalapeño-Lime Vinaigrette
By James Petrakis
A perfect light summer meal, this ceviche requires some advance preparation because the fish is smoked and cooled ahead of time. While this recipe uses wahoo, any firm-flesh fish suitable for ceviche may be substituted, and as always, ingredients may be adjusted for individual taste.
- Citrus-Cured Wahoo
- One 1-pound wahoo fillet
- 2 cups coarse salt
- 1 cup sugar
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- Zest and juice of 2 lemons and 2 limes
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, sliced thin
- Jalapeño-Lime Vinaigrette
- 2 seeded jalapeños, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. orange juice
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 25 cilantro leaves
- Avocado-Peach Salad
- 1 avocado
- 1 ripe peach, 1 blood orange, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup gypsy peppers, sliced thin
- Cilantro to taste
- 1⁄2 cup toasted peanuts, crushed
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Bury the wahoo fillet in the mixture and cure for 1 hour, then rinse the fillet and cold-smoke for 15 minutes.
- Cool completely and slice thin.
- Combine all ingredients in blender and buzz for 20 seconds
- Halve and seed the avocado, rub with olive oil and salt and pepper, then grill and let cool before slicing.
- Toss sliced wahoo, gypsy peppers and red onion in three-quarters of vinaigrette.
- Marinate for 20 minutes, plate, and garnish with peaches, orange, avocado, cilantro, peanuts and remaining vinaigrette.