Mercury Marine Announces New 150 Pro XS Outboard
Miami, Fla. - Mercury Marine, is pleased to introduce its new 150 Pro XS outboard at the 2018 Miami International Boat Show. Building on the successful launch of the Mercury 115 Pro XS in 2016, the new 150 Pro XS sets a new standard in the 150hp high-output category and lives up to the legendary Pro XS reputation for superior hole shot, top-end speed, and durability.
Fishing enthusiasts and professionals alike have long considered Mercury's Pro XS outboards to be the most durable, reliable and best-performing outboard engines for tournament fishing. This new four-stroke will continue that tradition, but is also an ideal fit for performance-oriented fiberglass and aluminum multi-species boats, bay boats, and pontoons.
"The new 150 Pro XS is based on one of Mercury's most successful and widely adopted engine platforms, the Mercury 150," said John Buelow, Mercury Marine vice president of category management. "Building on this solid foundation, Mercury engineered the new performance-tuned 150 Pro XS to be the quickest, lightest and most advanced high-output outboard in its class.”
The new Mercury Marine 150 Pro XS delivers:
- Quickest acceleration — The engine features class-leading 0–20 mph heavy-load acceleration. In competitive angling tournaments, mere fractions of a second can make a big difference. Quicker acceleration gives anglers an edge, as it allows them to get out in front of the pack and avoid getting stuck in the wake of competitors' boats.
- Lightest weight — At 456 pounds, the new 150 Pro XS is 20 lbs. lighter than the nearest competitive offering. Tournament anglers know that every pound counts.
- Largest displacement — At 3.0L, the new 150 Pro XS also boasts the largest displacement in the 150hp category.
- Extra torque — Mercury's exclusive Transient Spark Technology optimizes spark timing, resulting in additional torque during hole shot. The additional torque translates into quicker acceleration — an essential advantage in the "drag race" scenarios that are common to competitive tournament fishing.
- Higher full-throttle RPM — Increased maximum engine RPM from 5,800 to 6,000 allows for a wider selection of propeller pitches and the ability to dial-in performance for superior hole shot or top speed.
- Improved fuel efficiency — The new Mercury 150 Pro XS continues Mercury’s mission to produce new technology that is sustainable and more fuel-efficient for the consumer.
- Performance gearcase — The new 150 Pro XS features a 2.08:1 gear ratio that delivers more torque to the prop shaft for improved acceleration. In addition to the standard water pickups on the side of the gearcase, this engine also features four extra water pickups on the nose of the gearcase torpedo. This provides greater flexibility to mount the engine higher, install a jack plate, or trim the engine more aggressively while running, allowing boat owners to optimize performance without sacrificing water flow for engine cooling.
- Optimized mount package — Performance-tuned engine mounts provide for improved high-speed handling characteristics.
- Superior charging output and battery management — The new 150 Pro XS features a class-leading charging output of 60 amps as well as idle charge battery-management capability, which protects consumers from draining batteries while operating multiple electronic devices and trolling.
- Smooth performance — The new 150 Pro XS boasts significantly lower seat and helm vibration levels compared to leading competitors in the 150hp high-output segment.
Additionally, the new 150 Pro XS provides superior protection against corrosion. Mercury's proprietary ultra-low-copper alloys make this outboard better able to withstand the elements, including the rigors of saltwater operation. Mercury provides an industry-leading standard three-year warranty against damage due to corrosion.