Oct. 19, 2012, 1:17 p.m.
Work Plan for Mercury Marine Property in Cedarburg
Mercury Marine will perform these activities at its property in Cedarburg in the coming months. This work will include the removal of PCB-impacted materials (e.g., soil, concrete slab) from the site and placement of a soil/grass (low-permeability) cap. Work at the site will be performed from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, and occasionally on Saturdays. Work is expected to be completed by the end of the year, weather permitting.
- Mobilization / Site Preparation – Initial work efforts at the site are under way and include equipment and personnel mobilization; facility setup (office and storage trailers); utility installation (temporary facilities to include telephone and electric); and construction of staging areas and temporary access roads to the construction site.
To facilitate this work, rocks, trees, brush, logs and debris will be removed from the property and properly disposed.
- Erosion and Sedimentation Controls – Silt fencing will be installed around all major work areas.
- Air Monitoring – Air monitoring will be performed throughout the project to ensure the generation of dust is kept to a minimum.
- Existing Cover Material Removal – Top soil and ground cover will be moved to gain access to the concrete slab and soil beneath and around the slab. Where possible, these materials will be segregated for re-use on the property after the cleanup is performed.
- Concrete Slab Removal – The existing concrete slab will be excavated and removed.
- Material Excavation – Soil will be removed from the areas beneath and around the former concrete slab.
Water from these areas will be pumped to holding tanks for on-site treatment. The treated water will then be transported to, and disposed of, at the City of Cedarburg wastewater-treatment facility.
- Backfill and Capping – Once the soil is removed, the areas will be filled with clean fill, and a low-permeability cap will be installed.
- Disposal of Materials – Materials that have been removed from the site will be loaded onto trucks and transported to appropriate licensed disposal facilities. We anticipate shipping up to 50 loads per day. The trucks will travel on Madison Street to Western Avenue. All empty trucks entering the site will use St. John Street, approaching the site from the south off Western Avenue.
- Site Restoration – At the completion of the work, the property will be seeded and mulched. Temporary fencing will be removed and any disturbed pavement will be repaired.